Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mr. Unavailable #100: The Sound of Silence

See The Downtown Hipster, The Way to a Girl's Heart, Momma's Boy, Update, Revisited and Down the Rabbit Hole for the background on this one.

Time has spoken. In fact, only time has spoken. It's been a week since my Algonquin date with #100 and there have been no texts and certainly no phone calls. This is completely unfamiliar territory. Is this the new breed of dater? The old breed of dater?

I've conducted an informal poll about what could be going on. Some men simply don't get it and think #100's gone for good. Other men say it's not that unusual: he may be dating around, he may be distracted or, a la When Harry Met Sally, he may be trapped under something heavy. Some women tell me to get in touch with him (I already did that once for the Algonquin date), others say men know when we are available (this was supported by one of the polled men above) and that he has to want it and come to me. Heidi has been through exactly the same thing and said she wouldn't be surprised if it took him two weeks to contact me.

About three days into the silence, I decided I didn't want to be that girl--the one who waits around for the guy to get in touch, gets angry and then acts pissed off when he finally does--as if we made a tacit relationship agreement and he isn't holding up his end of the bargain. It's true. No such agreement was made. After all, he's just a guy (or as I've started to say more often, "Just a fucking guy."). (For the record, I do reserve the right to put a time cap on the whole thing. For example, if #100 doesn't contact me within two weeks? three? I can opt out. If I can, that is.)

I'd rather be the kind of girl who dates around until a guy smartens up and locks me down. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how dating went several decades ago? So, standards now significantly lowered--a long time coming--I've set up a bunch of dates. On the roster: an unemployed screenwriter, a Persian cardio-something-ist, a tattoo artist with facial ink and, well, I've already forgotten the details on the others.

As for #100, if he does get in touch, I may not be quite so available. This may look and feel like a game, but it's not a game. I've got a lot of dating to do.

Next in the #100 series: I Can See Clearly Now the Rain is Gone

No comments:

Post a Comment