Sunday, February 14, 2010

George Clooney: Poster Boy for Mr. Unavailables Everywhere

And now, a brief Valentine's Day intermission from our listing of Mr. Unavailables... (Skip to #31 if you'd rather not intermiss)...

A few weeks ago, under mild duress (i.e., limited movie options), I went to see the movie Up In the Air, where George Clooney plays a slightly less glamorous (but not really, I mean, he is George Clooney), midwestern version of himself. When I first heard of the movie, I thought, Oh, great, yet another movie where the unavailable guy suddenly becomes available. It's predecessors include Pretty in Pink, Reality Bites, Pretty Woman, Dangerous Liaisons, Twilight and Grease, to name just a few.

These are the kinds of movies that make little--and big--girls everywhere believe that the ultimate reward is to win over the impossible-to-win man. And that we can win him over simply by being our wonderful, charming selves (or by transforming into Spandex-clad greaser chicks).

Up in the Air may have been a little bit smarter about it than the others, but (MINOR SPOILER ALERT FOR THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH) George Clooney still showed up unannounced on his favorite fling's doorstep to declare that he finally realized what he was missing all these years because of her. I'd be willing to bet big money that, in real life, George Clooney is not showing up unannounced on anyone's doorstep. Big money.

From what people have told me, available men just don't look like that, if you know what I mean. Movies are supposed to be dramatic, but relationships between mutually available people aren't. So the next time you feel your emotions being manipulated by a guy who comes on strong and then quickly cools off (it will feel as if you're watching a bad Ron Howard movie), run.

So what do available men look like, you ask? I'm still figuring it out myself, but I may have spotted one last night: See Mr. Available #?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment