Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mr. Unavailable #100: Update

See The Downtown Hipster, The Way to a Girl's Heart and Momma's Boy for the background on this one.

Sometimes Mr. Unavailables re-emerge.

After I told him I didn't drink and he got weird, I never expected to hear from #33 again (just like Mr. Unavailable #94), but he returned five days after our third date in the form of a text message on Superbowl Sunday.

#100: Did u super bowl it! Lol
Me: Yup! You?
#100: Yup. Silly game. Was fun.
Me: Very fun.
#100: See u soon?
Me: If you wanna ask me out on a date, I'll probably say yes. ;)
#100: I see. Ok. I'll ask soon.
Me: :)

Then three days after that (during the "Blizzard of 2010"):
#33: love the snow

I didn't respond.

Red Flags: Lame pot reference aside, obviously, we have different definitions of "soon." Not only were we not getting together "soon," we weren't getting together at all. Just the fact that I had to tell him I'd say yes to a date if he asked, while bold, was also mildly humiliating.

Diagnosis: Sometimes no response is the best response. In not responding to his text about the snow, I feel the return of a degree of self-respect. The ball may only be the size of a ping-pong ball, but it's in my court and I'm keeping it.

Note: I kept it until: Revisited.

No comments:

Post a Comment