Friday, February 26, 2010

Mr. Unavailable #100: Not Exactly Stalking

We were looking for an excuse to meet Nora's on-again, off-again married (but separated) boyfriend while they were on-again and we decided to making a bar-night outing of it, getting Heidi's boyfriend to come along, too. I picked the bar--Sweet and Vicious. If you'll remember, that's where I met #100 twice. Although he said he didn't usually go there, I thought it was worth a shot. I hadn't heard from him since our trip to The Algonquin.

Bar Night: Heidi and Jeff got there first, snagging part of the banquette, which afforded a great view of the bar at which #100 and I had previously canoodled. When Nora and David got there, Heidi and I surreptitiously eyed him over. Contrary to the abnormal intensity of Nora's now nearly six-month obsession with him as well as the dramatic nature of their relationship, we thought he was actually fairly normal-looking and -acting.

While they remained intertwined for the majority of the evening, Heidi and Jeff seemed to come apart. Jeff had the waitress keep the red wine coming, and, as he grew more drunk, Heidi grew more aggravated. Because I was the only one there flying solo, he would jump up occasionally and bark that he was going to "get [me] a man," he said. Heidi would have to forcibly make him sit and stay.

After getting him to heal a couple of times, Heidi turned and said to me, "I'm not sure how much longer this is going to last." It wasn't clear if she cared or not that he heard her over the music. Fortunately, Sweet and Vicious keeps the volume up.

As we left, I took one last look around the room. There was no sign of #100, but I couldn't help but noticed how young--and uncomfortable--everyone looked. It made me feel bad--and good--at the same time.

Diagnosis: Nora and David seem fairly solid, Shelagh and Jeff seem fairly on the rocks and I am, most definitely--and despite my minor stalking of #100--still flying solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment