Friday, February 12, 2010

Mr. Unavailable #95: The Vapor Trail

This is a Mr. Unavailable Mini Flashback, circa Spring 2009.

Vital Stats:
Late 30-something; 6'3"ish; Just as adorable/handsome as his online photo, if not moreso. Income via sales at a French telecommunications company (that's what he said anyway). Aesthetic & demeanor: Very put-together but casual business guy.

First Date: We met via the OKCupid dating site. In fact, he was my first OKCupid date. We arranged a lunchtime coffee rendez-vous at Starbucks in the Flatiron District, Spring 2009.

First Impression: He had just been at the library and had a stack of books with him, which, unless it was all a ruse, was almost too ridiculously adorable.

Signs of Hope: Before we met, he kept saying over email how honored he was to meet me, which I thought was a bit much but sweet nonetheless. And when we met, he had impeccable manners. He got me a coffee and we talked for about an hour. Nothing seemed amiss. All went smoothly. I was even in my skinny jeans at the time, so I was feeling pretty good. Eventually, I had to go back to work, but he asked me if I would like to get together again--if, that is, I would permit it, he said, practically bowing and scraping on the corner of 5th Ave. and 21st St.

Red Flags: None. He was very charming, but not suspiciously charming...And cute, but not suspiciously cute...He just seemed so normal...What could have gone wrong...Was it me?...Were my photos were misleading?...Was it something I said?...Did I have something on my face?

Turning Point: After not hearing from him for several days, thinking not hearing from him was some kind of glitch, I sent him a message saying it was nice to meet him. I heard nothing in return.

Diagnosis: For him: Either he was a master at hiding his true feelings of disinterest or something else was going on (maybe he was married or had a girlfriend and was throwing a hook in the online world to see what he could fish out...or something).
For me: I was completely baffled. I detected no lack of interest, although my dating skills were a bit rusty at the time, so you never know. Best not to think about it too much... (...I write as I sit and think about it too much...) Mary had a lit-tle lamb, lit-tle lamb, lit-tle lamb...

No comments:

Post a Comment