Friday, February 12, 2010

Mr. Unavailable #94: The Hangover

This is a Mr. Unavailable flashback circa 2008.

Vital Stats:
33ish, 6'1"ish. Occupation: Some kind of business-events planner. We met at a Greenwich Polo match in the summer of 2008. Aesthetic: Post-preppy midtowner. Demeanor: Attentive and sweet when not drunk or hungover.

First Impression: He was hungover and somewhat testy on the car ride to the polo match, but became more playful--complimenting me on the fairness of my skin and the cut of my dress--as his hangover wore off and the bubbly began to flow.

First Date: A few weeks after the polo match, we made plans to meet up at a bar in the Gramercy Park area and then head over to DUMBO for an outdoor movie.

Signs of Hope: After the polo match, I friended him on the A Small World social networking site and replied quickly, asking me out for the fun-sounding date.

Red Flags: His original hangover.

Turning Point: We met at the bar and then three minutes into the date I ordered a seltzer and cranberry and he became noticeably distracted. He seemed to lose the thread of conversation and suddenly asked me, sounding slightly perturbed, what kind of business I had meeting him at a bar and not ordering a drink. I told him I wasn't really much of a drinker.

#94: "Well, when I asked you to meet at a bar, what did you think we were going to do?"

Me: "Um, have a conversation, get to know each other."

A few more moments of distracted conversation passed and he then started quizzing me about what kind of a risk-taker I was: "On a scale of one to ten, how conservative or risk-taking are you?"..."If you were with a bunch of people and they went skinny-dipping, would you go with them?" I answered his questions as best as I could, wondering why I was even playing along. He then determined that he was much more of a risk-taker than I was and that I was actually very conservative.

The final moments of the date:

#94: "Well, do you think you're conservative?"

Me: "No, but it doesn't matter anymore because I'm leaving."

Date duration: Maybe 15 minutes, 20 max. We never made it to the movie.

Diagnosis: For him: He loves drinking more than dating. I found out later that he had asked our polo host if he could bring a case of Heineken to the match.
For me: I'm a little upset that I let the date last as long as it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment