Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mr. Unavailable #97: The Tease

This is a Mr. Unavailable Mini Flashback, circa Summer 2009.

Vital Stats:
40ish, 5'10"ish. Two years out of Iran. Bearded and swarthy. Employment via graphic design skills. Flirtation began Summer 2009 at a Soho party. Aesthetic: NYC Casual. Demeanor: Serious with humorous undertones.

First Impression: Very flirtatious (possibly with everyone and to the annoyance of some).

Signs of Hope: He always acted excited to see me, with a sly smile and a squeeze on my arm--or a hug, or a lingering stare. He was also very touchy-feely (to say "affectionate" would be too complimentary), and he would say, "I like you...you have such great energy...that's why I like being near you." He complimented me all the time and began to make references to calling/getting together.

Red Flags: Touchy-feely/flirtatious with many women. Although he often referred to "getting together," he could never actually pull the trigger on a date.

Turning Point: At a holiday party in the East Village in 2009, I made it clear I was available (i.e., #97: Are you seeing anyone? Me: No.); He made more references to hanging out--and even started to mull over post-party possibilities--but still no date. A month passed. After a while, I just started to smile and nod, smile and nod.

Diagnosis: Clearly terrified of dating in that it may actually lead to a relationship, which, for him, was clearly even more terrifying.
For me: I was never quite 100% on if I liked him like that but became open enough to go out with him should he ask. Maybe just the fact that I was hesitant meant I was onto something.

No comments:

Post a Comment