Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mr. Unavailable #106: The Confident Nerd

Vital Stats: 6'2", 32, Computer Hacker, Aesthetic: Dressed in poorly matched earth tones, he had more of an anti-aesthetic. (On a relevant side note, his OKCupid username included the word "nerd," which he very much was.) Demeanor: Young but sweet.

Background: He contacted me several times via OKCupid and I ignored him for months. Finally, he wrote to me asking, "How do I get to know you better?" Touched, and trying to be more open-minded, I replied: "Ah, persistence. Nice job! What would you like to know?"

First Date: Heartland Brewery, Union Square, St. Patrick's Day. He called me a few days before the date and had excellent phone skills, sounding very sweet/smart/funny. Then he texted me just before the date to say he was at the appointed location and had snagged a table by the door--again, sweet.

First Impression: Seated on a bar stool at a high table, he slouched forward, completing the picture of geeky awkwardness. But he totally owned it, which was kind of attractive.

Signs of Hope: For being such a nerd, he was strangely confident. We talked easily. I told him about my impending advertising job and trip to Australia and he told me about his recent move from D.C. and how he learned to be a hacker. I actually lost track of time.

Red Flag: He referenced some heavy drinking habits and various parties. He was also five years younger than me, so it kind of made sense. But he was five years younger than me. Otherwise, I might have been the red flag: He seemed available, but would my own unavailability allow me to give him a chance?

Turning Point: We talked for an hour and 45 minutes and I suddenly realized it had been an hour and 45 minutes and said I was late to meet some friends, which was true. He said he'd come back to take care of the check and walked me outside, giving me a kiss on the cheek. At some point in there, I decided I'd go out with him again if he asked.

Diagnosis: Possibly available for an awkward romance. Stay tuned for a second date . . .

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder that if they're too available, then that's why I'm not interested. Only time will tell..

    ReplyDelete